01-25-2024, 09:02 AM   #7
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Your link opens to an X6! Proved my point.
So are you saying they shouldn't respond to market trends? Hell even Ferrari's come out with an SUV

Quote:
And then the choice of selections includes "High-performance M models" and "Performance M models". Remember when an "M" was simply the highest performance model available in any body style? Sad self-admission of how they've mucked up the whole "M is for Marketing" thing.
While I agree "M" is more about marketing now than ever before - that's pretty standard across the industry.... you can have audi S line and mercedes AMG badging on an A4 and a C300. We may not like it but it sells. But that doesn't mean you can't still have a proper "M" car that's the highest performance model available in its body style.

Quote:
Navigating further you eventually get to the M2 for which under "Features and Specs" you'll find the colors available but not the weight! That is certainly High-Performance.
"eventually"..... you mean literally the first car listed?
Name:  M2.png
Views: 307
Size:  1.28 MB

As for the specs - it seems the M2 webpage is missing the specs section either due to an error or an incomplete page. If you go to the M3 page, there are absolutely specs listed, including weight - along with engine specs, transmission gear ratios, etc:
Name:  m3 weight.png
Views: 277
Size:  79.7 KB

Quote:
When you Google it, you'll find the listed weight for the 2024 M2 is listed at 3,814-pounds. Further Googling will show you the first M3 weighed 2,857-pounds. We've certainly come a long way.
So has every car in existence? Which of BMW's direct competitors haven't increased in weight since 1986?

Not sure if you've driven a modern M car, but they are absolute beasts in terms of performance. While I agree they may not be as visceral of an experience as cars of the past (again, this isn't something exclusive to BMW, this is an industry-wide trend), to say BMW doesn't still make sports cars is crazy.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima