06-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #17
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I bought a quintessential "stick" car, a 1LE, but I realize once you are past a certain amount of HP and TQ it just slows you down more than it helps you do anything. It's fun rowing through gears, but IMO you have to match the car to the transmission. The WRX I had was a manual-only car. The 4EAT that subaru was using on the auto versions was absolutely horrid and anyone that bought that version simply had no clue what they were doing. But go to a modern 600hp car with traditional auto or DCT-auto and it'll do everything better.

The real problem is that autos have enabled the people playing with phones, which is likely a huge portion of the people on this site, just by demographics. I'd take back autos in a second to get rid of this problem, but it's not going away because people want to play on their phones much more than they want to drive, again, looking at demographics.
I mostly agree, but having only had manuals, yet acknowledging that flappy paddles have their place, I'd actually only concede that it's on modern flat torque curve motors that they're really ideal. A traditional, pre turbo Fezza motor that doesn't have a lot of low end torque but revs like crazy is ideal for a manual. Similar to the GT3 and the outcry when Porsche removed the manual option for the 991.1.