View Single Post
      06-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #59
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep

Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Refreshing it is to read opinions here that differ so much from the cool-aid that one has to drink on Porsche forums (for example) where they swear by "ceramic coatings". For me, a lot of it is just marketing b.s., like those products that "nurture and replenish oils in the paint".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
Also, it's not "permanent" but more semi-permanent as it does wear off over time.

I guess if there's one take away, it's that he mentions that the ceramic coating will need to be sanded down, which is almost never advertised and seldom mentioned by those selling ceramic coating.
I've always wondered about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
Do you ever wonder what the thickness of these coatings? It will not prevent swirls and scratches.
Measured in microns, it won't prevent much of anything, you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13
I bet if you place a vehicle with an expensive coating to one with a good quality wax or sealant, you would not be able to tell the difference.
And this has always been one of my thoughts as well; it's really all of that "correction" (which is another misnomer) and polishing that makes it look good, not the coating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean750 View Post
It sounds strange but with 4 or 6 times waxing every year you increase the risk of fine scratches
It doesn't sound strange at all. Any time you touch the paint, either with a brush, sponge, towel or even air, you are scratching it.

And while I'm on a rant, it's not paint correction, it's polishing. There is no "correction" going on. Real correction is wet sanding before the clear coat. Anything after that is simply polishing the clear.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)