06-07-2019, 08:39 AM   #46
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
Although many people believe the ATS-V and CTS-V have better handling than most of their counterparts, What I said really not related to handling.
Understood. Feel is not all related to handling. I've not driven an M car other than the original E30 M3, nor have I driven either V-series Cadillac, but I've driven plenty of BMW 3 series cars and several ATS and CTS, and the F30 marked a clear change in direction of the 3-series chassis. I'll soon drive the G20 to get an opinion of it, but IMO, BMW has so diluted its portfolio to develop a chassis-shared spectrum of vehicles, that it no longer can make a focused chassis. I think that the electronic stability controls now available to the industry allow dumbing down of the chassis because the security of the chassis stability is now in the software rather than the hardware. That change has lost the nuance that was present in the legacy 3-series.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."