06-07-2019, 08:30 AM   #45
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferizzo View Post
Haha...probably not! I liked working with Johan and agreed with his overall vision (not everything per se) and could see why he was frustrated. I think he needed more time and he could have turned Cadillac around. He helped with the growth in China and was now more focused on the US before his ouster. oh well.
From what he said about EVs and autonomous driving, he'd have been at odds with Barra. She seems to be banking the company on go full EV with autonomous driving services right on the heels. She's bloated GM's debt back to up to $100M (maybe she thinks Uncle Sam will do another bailout). I think GM figured out with the EV1 that electric, while it sounds great, is not a marketable concept in the larger view. Musk has been driving the disruption based on a political view, which is never a good thing IMO. I think de Nysschen is spot on about the timing of Level 5 autonomy.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."