Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Wait View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58-M340iX View Post
Sure - there are off-peak hours, but now imagine 100 million people in the US have EVs and are charging them all throughout the day. I would not call that small. Having me charge my car off-hours is like telling me to fill up my gas tank at 9pm instead of noon when I'm on my lunch break. I guess the smart charging devices will allow me to schedule it through an app, but having to constantly monitor when it's cheap and when I'm getting gouged doesn't sound like fun.
The volume of EV owners in the US doesn't jump from 2M to 100M in a couple of years. We have decades to get there, which will see the electric infrastructure augment capacity via wind, solar and deferred/repurposed resources from the 100M less fossil fuel vehicles on the road.

Your mindset of filling up your gas tank at 9pm vs. noon/lunch-break is not analogous to how you charge an EV. You plug it in when you're done driving for the day (even if that's 10pm at night). When you wake up every single day with 100% charge, you don't need to 'fill up on your lunch break'.
There's plenty of vehicles that need more time than you predict to charge, but whatever. What gets me is people like yourself seem to overlook the very-real scenario where a household can have 4 drivers or more. How will everyone charge their car every night? What about a multi-family home that has even more drivers? The entire electric supply would have to be rebuilt to accommodate all the draw.