GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK42 View Post
Like I have mentioned on my postings, the different citings are usually included in them. I know for a fact that the E92 M3 will be shown here in March (Read more on this later on this posting.) I've worked with these people (the largest BMW reseller in Scandinavia) for a very long time. As with any new car release, there are bound to be rumors around (such as the fake pricelist that was going around for a while, which I've discounted as a fake myself), so I have tried to include only the most reliable information that I have heard and included the sources when I could. The "M3 GTR-likeness" was the personal opinion of a long-time BMW import representative who had talked about it with a colleague of his in Germany at BMW AG, because an M3 with a 4 Liter V8 was something, I guess, that brought memories of the M3 GTR into his mind, and it does to mine as well. Of course it won't be the E46 M3 GTR, but there are definite similiriaties - a high rev four liter V8 under the bonnet of an M3. The hp/Nm specs are unverified as I have said myself, but I have heard talk of figures closer to 450hp, and this is from all the people in the BMW organization here and the info they have from Germany, and also from an individual who works as a subcontractor for a company that develops and tests software for BMW and sometimes has a chance to testdrive their prototype vehicles, or has to, for his job. I have no contacts with BMW in Germany directly and even if I did, they wouldn't tell me what the hp and Nm will be, I'm sure, so like I mentioned in my post, we'll just have to wait and see. Please re-read my post if you got the impression that I was claiming that this is was an iron-clad figure - no, I specifically mentioned that we'll have to wait and see.

The 9000rpm redline is for a fact as far as I can confirm, again through the reseller and my friend in Germany. The engine concept will be a very high rev V8. As far as the transmission, it will most likely be called SMG IV, that's what I've heard it called most often, but it may contain components of the ZSG/ZCP technology dual clutch transmission that BMW has been developing, since apparently the M GmbH people have been very interested in it lately (this from my friend in Germany.) But the sales people keep insisting that the ZSG/ZCP or whatever it'll be called commercially will be replacing torque converter automatic transmissions such as the steptronic on the regular BMW models, and that M GmbH will keep the SMG III/IV transmission unique to the M models - even to the point that the cheapo versions of SMG for regular BMW models (the non-adjustable, slow, jerky SMG that was available for example, for the non-facelifted Z4 3.0i) has been discontinued so as not to confuse clients, and the transmission levers available on the current regular BMW models for people who want them, are for controlling the steptronic transmission in a manual mode for up or downshifts with the steering wheel levers - no more stripped down SMG at all for regular BMW models. However, whether the new SMG IV incorporates elements from the dual clutch technology, that I do not know - it's all up for speculation. Again the only thing about the SMG IV that I've heard mentioned many times over and over by serious people is that on the most sportiest mode it should be able to do upshifts without using the clutch, i.e. just by matching revs, as in F1 cars.

The showing of the M3 in March will not be public, and it is not just potential, it will happen, unless it gets cancelled, which I doubt since I know for a fact that I, and tens of people who are interested in buying this car, or have connections with BMW or are with the press have the same invitation to the March function as I do, and the local rep has promised that a demo car will be shown there. This leads me to believe that BMW will release the E92 M3 information to the public in March, as they usually almost always release their new cars twice a year - in March and in September. Also, the regular E92 Coupés were released in September and the first cars shipped in September as well which would well indicate that the M3 would be just 1 year behind it, which is what I believe BMW has stated as well.

Also, we've all seen the pictures of less and less masked M3's driving around Germany, and even in the USA. This indicates that a release is very close.

Personally I would get nothing out of BSing people with this, as I'm waiting for the E92 M3 more than I have ever waited any car, since it's the first new M car that I can afford right away, and I've been test driving so many of them as a part of my role with the BMW reseller here, that I really want to own my own ASAP.

P.S.

I just checked the link posted by Jason, and they are talking about a new M3 GTR, which is definitely a misunderstanding. All I have told is that BMW sales and import people here and in Germany think that the new E92 M3 will be quite like the E46 M3 GTR was, since the E46 M3 GTR had a 4 liter V8 with a high-rev concept, and the E92/E90 M3 will have the same. Phew!

Jussi
Thanks for your insight. Everyone here woul like to believe everything you say, but with so little hard information at this point, people are a little skeptical. We all must wait and see what unfolds, and we welcome your further updates.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0