12-05-2016, 12:08 AM   #1
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

X5M Razor Key Retrofit

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
5 ///Ms met up at my friend's garage yesterday and my business was to upgrade my key to X5m razor one. The result is fantastic. After all these years, I finally have a key that I feel comfortable to show my friends in a party Absolutely cannot live with the old key once you hand on this one.

All it takes is 1) a retrofit X5M key (enclosure & electronics) and 2) a good welding job. No programming required.

This one is the range topping version of X5 razor key - 4 buttons chrome finished and 3-color M on the side. For comparison, you can also see the basic version from the last picture - black plastic button, w/ or w/o M on the side.

The green chip board was taken out of the old key's enclosure and the black one out of X5M's. The 2 chips, red marked in a side by side picture, are where the drivers' profiles/settings are saved. My man did a delicate welding job to transplant my chip to new chip board.

All the functions, lock/unlock, comfort access & mirror fold remote control & physical buttons, work perfectly. I used the search button but didn't find any such kind of retrofit threads here in the forum, but my man easily did it in 15 mins.

The razor key is similar in width and length to the original key, but only thinner so it better fits into pocket. I've attached side by side pictures below, including the comparison with w/ m performance key fob.

Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Last edited by SeanWRT; 12-09-2016 at 03:12 AM..