View Single Post
      05-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #18
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
I agree. Having owned the last two generations of M3's and driven many various bmw cars, they truly are a cut above. I would also echo that M cars shine on more than just a track, but they handle the track business quite well. They feel better, generally look better, hold their value better (once the initial decrease has passed), and turn heads everywhere. They dont compare IMO.
Humorously, I agree with everything you said EXCEPT that they don't compare. They are fallible enough in some of the things they require, and costs implied that they do compare for me. But that is very much FOR ME. My opinion was totally different 5 years ago too!

I honestly think one of the big reasons that I think detracts and makes them somehow comparable was I started doing some the XtremeXperience track things and have gotten the chance to drive the Nissan GTR, Aston DBS, McLaren MP4-12C, Ferrari 458 Italia, Porsche 996 GT2, Lamborghini LP-560, and the Audi R8. All of which are amazing cars (the Aston not so much for the track ability, but the sounds and looks). But they reinforced one principal for me that made it so I have NO interest in owning any of them anymore (well, the Porsche I'd take actually). They are so capable, so amazing, so comfortable, that when you drive them on the street you are accessing only 20-30% of what the car is about. Tracking them unlocks the rest, but then puts the entire price tag at risk. Add in the additional maintenance, insurance, constant attention, etc it just wears thing quickly (in my mental exercises at least). As a six figure household, that's not happening! Until I have more money than I know what to do with and could make those cars disposable, they become a bit useless (to me). They are great to drive a couple of times a year, so I continue to rent opportunities when I can because I love them, but I'd never own them.

There is something about knowing the car is capable of so much more than I use it for that bothers me actually. I loved wringing out 90% of my 318's capability every day. It was just so much fun to do! Great cars like the M's just do it too easily, and while more fun than other options, also are saddening to me in others because it just makes me want the track more - but then don't want to risk destroying that beautiful thing. Such a conundrum!
2014 Cayman S

Last edited by sdhotwn; 05-23-2014 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0