View Single Post
      10-08-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
Help me understand this, how is leasing better?
Well, I can only speak for myself, but there is a certain comfort factor in knowing what the car is worth in 3 years, especially if you would like to buy another new car in 3 years. Plus, if the car is a total loss in an accident, or stolen, with a loan you're responsible for the difference between what the car is worth and the loan balance, in a BMW FS lease, they cover the difference. And at lease end, as long as any damages to the car fall into the normal wear & tear category, you won't be charged for anything. AND if you want to buy/lease another BMW, there are usually incentives from BMW to get you out of your current lease, rebates, etc.

Quote:
-43,413.12 (9576+33,837)
18,111.88 left
You are forgetting that he gets the security deposit back. You also have to compare apples to apples, as with a loan, let's say a five year loan, after three years you'll likely still owe more on the car than what it's worth (assuming nothing down). Plus here in some of the states in the US (it varies) we have significant sales taxes. With a lease, you only pay sales tax on the payments, not the entire purchase price. That can be thousands of dollars.

Quote:
some may argue is why the economy is tanked.
That's more about buying more house than you can afford, but you make a good point. A lot of people use leases to buy more car than they can afford.

I got screwed on my 335 resale; after 30 months I sold it for roughly 58% of new MSRP, so figure that in 3 years it would have dropped another few points and be worth maybe 52%. And that's selling it myself - if I had traded it, we would be looking at a few more points. And this was a pristine low mileage car. It's just hard to compete, selling a used car when folks can buy a new one with 0.9% financing. So I rationalize the leasing of my new 5 (if it ever shows up) for protecting me from this kind of drop, like if the N55 has issues like the N54 did, for instance.

FWIW, generally like yourself, I prefer to buy.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0