03-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
The M5's are filled up with BMW/Castrol 5W-30 at the factory. Knowledgeable dealers will put 5W-30 into the car during oil services. There have been multiple instances where dealerships put incorrect weights in the cars. So it's always a good idea to check on what they will use, or to bring your own oil to them.

I would recommend 0W-30, Castrol brand, European formula (often referred to as German Castrol).

German Castrol 0W-30 (code 06244) can be purchased from amazon. After you buy it, just verify it says European Formula on the bottle before you use it.

I am currently using 0W-30 since my break-in service. A few other members on here are using this as well. The car warms up faster, and some say the motor runs quieter at idle.

BMW recommends owners to always use Castrol brand oil. You can put any brand (meeting correct specs such as LL-01) fully synthetic 0-40 in the car, as it's an approved alternate weight for the S63TU engine. However, I would recommend Castrol brand, and would recommend 0W-30 weight.
Thanks for your insight avlnch! There is so much debate nowadays in regard to engine oil, so I thought why not try it, its cheap!

So far using Mobil 1 is just an experiment, but I gotta tell ya, I'm loving it!

This is what I have seen so far.

Engine warms up quicker.
I'm getting better MPG.
Turbos running cooler. (I had to do a Google search to make sure the turbos are oil cooled) The fan(s) are quieter after shutdown with multiple pulls over 100mph!

So far the engine seems to be running more efficiently, but I'll see how it holds up in 8000 miles.
Appreciate 0