Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkn View Post
Hi.

I have a 2015 F31 335d Touring which I absolutely *love*. My favourite thing about it is how it handles. I have the Adaptive Suspension and Variable Sport Steering options, and when I come out of a corner it feels like a million dollars. It doesn't get that jumpy feeling that some cars do - including my previous 2011 E90 335i RWD - where you head into a corner and the surface isn't perfect and it feels like it could let go end up in a tree.

I have taken two reasonably placid drives in the G21 M340i Touring and whilst the reviews are always glowing, I just didn't feel connected to it the way I expected. I know there is a G21 M340d now too, but unfortunately they aren't bringing it here to NZ. I have a good offer to trade my 335d for an M340i Touring fully loaded and was happy as Larry until I heard about the M340d Touring.

I also have been toying with the idea of going to the Tesla Model S (75D, plenty of power for me). What I haven't been able to do is take it for a really good hard drive and I won't be able to.

I know it's a BMW forum, but I am interested in hearing from anyone who might be prepared to give me some feedback. Specifically, handling. Like my 335d, I want a car that is flat, and stable whilst driving around corners, even if I am doing so in a spirited manner. For those who have driven the F3x 335d, G2x M340i/d, and the Tesla Model S, how would you compare them?
Forgive my ignorance, but can you get the M340 Touring with XDrive and a LSD? I’m pretty sure, this would fix your desire to pull through a corner nice and flat with max acceleration, especially if you crank it up to Sports or Sports Plus. It certainly is the case with my M340i xDrive saloon/sedan (whatever it’s called......non-Touring).
In Sports Plus mode, through some swift but tight corners, the suspension becomes noticeably firmer to the point that passengers become almost alarmingly aware! (They don’t have a steering wheel to hang on to). For the driver.......pure joy!