View Single Post
      06-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #25
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
The drive system comprises three fifth-generation drive units, each of which brings together an electric motor and the associated power electronics and power take-off within a single housing. One is mounted at the front axle and two (a double drive unit) at the rear axle. Another notable aspect of this generation alongside its eye-catching power is that it is entirely free of rare earths. An electric motor of this type will make its series production debut in the BMW iX3. The iX3 will only have one motor, though, rather than three.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC
I've been asking this for awhile but does that mean the iX3 is two wheel drive only? Because it's DOA if that's the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondaman View Post
Most likely one motor at the front (120 to 160kW) and one on the back (150-180kW). It's is much easier to implement AWD with electric motors because the motors are much smaller.

My guess is iX3 will be AWD.
It says in the press release the iX3 will only have one motor, not one on each axle. So assuming the press release isn't wrong and there aren't two motors, then either one motor is driving all four wheels, or the car is RWD only. Any of the BMW whisperers in here have any idea?
mkoesel7505.50