View Single Post
      07-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #18
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Drives: Potato

When the 850 came out I didn’t really like it - I loved the styling, especially the exterior, but the interior felt too overdone (big and wide) and it was heavy and seemed kind of slow. The CSI, of course, was more better, but still not what I was into. But I had been reading too many car magazines and kept wanting it to be a quick accelerator and track monster. It never was that, it is a true GT.

Over the years I’ve come to appreciate it as a GT and I like it more and more each year. I’d love to own and care for one, although the CSI is now getting to be so coveted that I’m afraid if I had one, I would not want to drive it like it should be driven. I have always liked the idea of starting with an 840i and transplanting a different power train (M5 engine and MT?). Add lightness, as Colin Chapman would say, and the character changes a bit but still retains that GT nature.

The maintenance stories never scared me. I think much of that is overwrought. First owners (leases really), who had money but didn’t appreciate preventative maintenance, dealers quick to punish them in the wallet. Later owners with good BMW sense seem to do fine with these, although parts are increasingly scarce as with anything 25+ years old (myself included).

So yeah, it is a dream car for me. Not the only dream car, but on the list. A neat design with lots of ways to be enjoyed (for what it is, in the garage, on the open road, modifying and modernizing).
Soul_Glo13346.00
sahajesh2294.00