View Single Post
      05-18-2022, 10:03 AM   #735
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

I generally think most people don’t understand how challenging F1 engineering is (myself fully included)… there are few that would even understand including those working on other race cars. A buddy of mine works for Subaru and builds their race engines on their official Subaru rally cars. He can’t share much as it’s all super secret but he did give some perspective about the challenges and complexity… like a particular fitting for a line on the engine was custom built for thousands of dollars and it failed under a certain rare conditions and how much of a gremlin that was to solve. He couldn’t share power numbers but did confirm over 500hp, I asked what he thought about pushing that to over 1000 and integrate electric components of hybrid …. He laughed, and said sure, with no weight, fuel, or spec constraints I can get that for you. The more restrictive the harder it is, exponentially harder as it get tighter and tighter restrictions….. Now add in that it has to perform exceptionally under every possible scenario from cold rainy to dessert heat. It's the total combination of all these restricting factors and conditions that make F1 engineering an amazing achievement. and it's dynamic week over week you have to adapt in competition with others when hundredths of a second mean P1 with a win and P20 or DNF.

Now throw in the challenge they are not allowed to test the vehicle, only run it for practice, quali & right into the race…. It’s comical at this point how hard a feat this is. There are probably 5 more crazy constraints that make it even harder on the engineers I'm not aware of.

Porsche (and other performance vehicle builders) have little to no constraints on their engineers and much is capped like the GT3 at limited power, and those only put out between 450-550hp, they can achieve that easily which means high-level optimization and efficiency are not really being applied to build those vehicles & their power trains.

Someone thinking a company can roll up cold and just start winning over the 4 greatest engineering teams in the world with decades of legacy experience should really take a few minutes to understand what F1 is about.

Last edited by kring; 05-18-2022 at 11:52 AM..
Steeler2428.50
F87source7251.50