View Single Post
      12-29-2020, 09:22 PM   #37
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep

Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

So old man thoughts... paying over MSRP for a car is not a good habit to get into... even if you LOVE the car.

Why? Depreciation for one.
As much as you love the car, it's resale value drops by as much as 20% as soon as you take the wheel. It *might* be in demand, but no one is going to pay you what you paid.

People overpay for houses because they know that over time, the value of the home increases, so they are willing to pay retail or more with the idea that their investment will appreciate.

Secondly, if you get used to paying retail or over, it may start a cycle of I have to have it now, no matter the cost. And that can be pretty dangerous for a couple thinking about a family. Debt is a stupidly brutal monster.

It's great KIA is making such nice cars, but here's one last thing to consider... we are within 5-10 years of gas cars turning into electrics. Yes, some states will move faster than others, but here's the thing, do you want to be holding a loan or just finishing paying off your car when everyone is buying electric? Because at that point, you won't even be able to give away your gas car. (Extreme thought I know but it's coming).

Personally, my wife and I are waiting for the next gen of Rivians, Mustangs, etc. to hit the roads in the next year or two and then trading in our Mazda CX-9 or BMW 435i.