09-23-2016, 01:01 PM   #5
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbikes View Post
Thanks for the empathy I told mechanic I would not pay for this part of the work. Do you agree there is NO way these are new pads with 100 miles on them? No idea why he sanded them down. I assume I should now replace these with proper new pads. I'll do the work myself from here out...

You could measure the thickness versus the new ones and I bet they are half the thickness. BMW pads are pretty meaty when new.

No reason to ever sand pads backing plates unless you wanted to fool someone into thinking they were new.

I personally have milled the faces of pads to cut a new surface on them to bed to rotors and remove glaze but no shop would do that...They would just install new.

I don't think hand sanding a rotor to break the glaze is correct either. I'd replace them unless you have sufficient thickness and a good machine shop turn them. (personally I think turning rotors is false economy.)

Next time the start squeaking do 5-6 70mph to 20 HARD stops and then drive gently for a ten minutes. That will break the glaze many times.

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
oolas3388.00