02-21-2023, 08:49 AM   #38
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
Update on this topic: I went ahead and got an Asus 4090 TUF OC edition.
I am surprised on a couple of performance aspects for this card, and one other observation.

1. While my monitor resolution is 3440 x 1440, I didn't expect a huge performance jump over my 3080...but in VR, the difference is very noticeable.

2. This card runs really cool. It idles at around 25C and under high load it never exceeds 47C. I'm running the standard Asus OC profile, which takes the baseline GPU clock of 2565MHz to 2595MHz which is an LOL statistic itself because that's hardly any difference...but getting it closer to 3000MHz will not really produce significant performance gains in any real world needs. Power draw under max load has not exceeded 440 watts so far, either.

3. This card is H~U~G~E! And heavy...I'm glad they provided a GPU support thingy, although my mobo has the re-inforced pci-e slots.

I didn't buy this card for regular gaming, but rather for VR to drive the 2160 x 2160 per eye resolution of my HP Reverb G2 at the settings I prefer, especially in DCS, Flight Simulator, and other racing simulations.

Is it worth the cost? I think that is subjective, but for me I see a substantial difference in VR performance over my 3080 (10GB version) so for me, it is.
I've been debating if I want to pick up a 4090 and sell the 3090ti. I either run triple 32's or VR, and while I haven't had true performance issues yet, I do have to tweak VR settings and suffer some quality for performance.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
BMWGUYinCO4122.50