View Single Post
      02-06-2023, 12:38 PM   #39
chris719
Major General
Rep

Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
First gen 986 Boxsters were a bit "cheap" for a Porsche in terms of interior materials, but that was the case for the 996 Porsches to an extent as well. At that time, Porsche was just trying to survive and they had just begun a new, more efficient production process.

The 987 cars were vastly improved and shared even more parts with the 911. My 987 as a ton of interior, exterior, drivetrain, and chassis parts directly shared with the 911 which is upsetting to some 911 owners that spent way more on their cars.

As others noted, mid-engine is what you want for a sports car. Porsche has certainly worked its magic making the 911 handle superbly with all that weight hanging on the ass end, but it's no match, dynamically, when compared to a mid-engine car. Most any enthusiast and track/professional will tell you the mid-engine Cayman/Boxster is the best sports car Porsche offers plus it's the cheapest too.

The only "cheap" thing I note on my 2011 Cayman is the rubberized black paint use on many of the plastics. That stuff scuff/scratches and degrades over time, especially when exposed to sunlight/heat on cars that sat outside most of their life. I don't worry too much about it as it's a low $30K car that's 12 y/o.

What I do find impressive is just how thick the metal panels are on the car. Porsche could have saved a bit of weight going with thinner metal on these cars. The metal is very dense and has no give except perhaps the aluminum hood. The car is very solidly built and doesn't rattle unless I'm driving it in sub 40 degree weather and it's sat for weeks.
You're trying to reason with someone who thinks his Z4 is faster than a G8x and M2C on track and posts all kinds of batshit stuff in this section.