02-02-2023, 11:32 AM   #25
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Congrats! I like the idea of a Miata, small, light, RWD. I just wish it had more power and a tighter suspension out of the box. I realize the mod market is huge but by the time I got it where I wanted, I could have probably just gotten a base 718. Obviously, not everyone is me. I realize there's a about $25k spread between a new base 718 and a new Miata, but if you are willing to go CPO on the Porsche, you can close the gap and find them just below $50k. And with prices dropping, it will only get better.

Boxster #1 Base Lava 718

Boxster #2 Aventurine Green GTS 4.0 718
Thanks! The cheapest I've seen a CPO manual 718 base was low $60k, but honestly there hasn't been many, mostly all PDK. Still at $50k CPO I could buy 2 CPO Miatas and with the Mazda I'm not too worried about maintenance and repairs regardless of CPO.

I just didn't want to spend that on something I wasn't 100% on. I'm still not sure if I will enjoy the turbo 4 as much long term. I like my NA engines and I honestly don't need that much power (coming from American V8s for the last like 3 cars ). This one I can actually drive the piss out of it without being up over 120 mph. I actually think the power is fine, definitely better than some of the older Miatas I drove. I found it pretty tight around corners, not Porsche tight, but tight enough. I dunno if the hard top has something to do with it, or if they stiffened up the newer model years, but it felt much tighter than a different Miata I drove a while back.

Anyways I'm willing to roll the dice a little at this price point. This isn't a FL car, this is meant to be in the twisties so I will reserve judgement until I take it up there.