01-31-2023, 02:17 PM   #12
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Yeah TBH I cannot fathom why you'd want a turbo 4 instead of a flat 6, yeah more torque etc but it's a sports car, you want to rev it out, that's half the fun. Mind you 3rd gear is STUPID long, on my 997 if I am hustling so can corner in third gear, then i floor it and it wrings out, in one gear, from 40kmh to 120kmh, it's nuts.

If stick, check the last time the clutch was done, it's near $5K at a shop. If PDK, check the full service was done.
I would agree with you. When I first started buying cars it was turbo all the way, tunes to get an extra 100hp etc. Then I got a 128i which I loved way more than my 335i, then I got the Z4M and pretty much banished turbos from my life. After that it was NA V8s and a few NA 4 cylinders for fun.

The only time I have even considered another turbo 4 is now with the 718. When I test drove the two automatics up in NC I didn't really notice much turbo lag at all. When I drove the base 718 manual here in FL I noticed it significantly more, however I still had a blast with it.

The flat 6 may be great, but finding them nearby to test drive is the issue. I would also prefer a CPO car so I don't have to deal with issues for at least 2 years. The Cayenne is at the dealer right now for what I believe is a rear main seal oil leak, luckily covered under CPO. Otherwise I do have a great Porsche indy shop that it would go to. That's where I take it for maintenance also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Yeah i had a Boxster 25 years last year (which was a GTS 4.0 with GT4 short shifter and the heritage style trim). Really nice car, but you can't safely redline it on a street ever. 1st gear redline natrually comes up quite fast, and then 2nd is like 76mph. The engine sounds great above 5000rpm, but its a bit rough and durgy below that.

Personally, as street cars, all of these 4.0 718's are very overrated unless you are intending to constantly break traffic laws. In PDK they are better, but you are kind of missing the point. As track cars, they make sense. They are desirable in theory, or if you want to go to cars and coffee to show off. As driving instruments, they are not effective road cars for revving out.
I agree with not needing that much power. In general I prefer NA to turbo but again I have only driven the 718s and one older flat 6 cayman but it was pretty modified. So I can't really say if I like the new GTS 4.0... but it doesn't matter because I'm not spending over $100k for one so it's not even being considered.

This will be strictly for fun. Probably drive it mostly in NC go for drives through the blue ridge etc so manual is a must even though the PDK is fantastic and also really prefer a convertible.

Who knows might end up with a convertible mustang with these prices and selection.