2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep

Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
As far as "pacing" goes; I have and had the best and most effective radar detectors money can buy, yet I've notice the cops just sit on the side of the highway, watch you drive by and "visually estimate" your speed, then lie that they confirmed it with a radar reading.

Rendering a radar detector useless.. Which I don't believe is fair but I guess I can't win that argument

Happen to me several times before, where I looked at the cop dead in eyes, knowing very well he didn't clock me on radar/laser but it didn't matter anyways because real cops are not like on TV, they are not above lying, they do or say what they gotta say to sway a situation in their favor. That's a fact.
My PSA for this thread:

NJ State Troopers usually use Laser in roadside speed enforcement. You'll see them shooting the laser like a gun resting on the door.

I often see them pull to the shoulder, quickly open their door, rest their right elbow on the open window While shooting the laser rearward while still sitting in the driver's seat. They'll surely find a target in moments and they're off to the chase.

When you consider NJ is the most congested state in the country, it makes sense that they'd use laser.

All this laser enforcement is part of the reason I haven't run a front plate since 1994. They're trained to shoot at the flat-reflective plate. It's more difficult to capture speed using laser on a car without a front plate.

Also, NJ State Troopers employ unmarked cars (usually Dodge Chargers, but sometimes Camaros (especially further south)) for pacing and finding people salmoning through traffic. I notice that the area of the NJ Turnpike with separate truck-bus lanes gets much more enforcement than the car lane on weekday mornings. There's ALWAYS Troopers pulling people over in the Truck-Bus lanes near Newark and Elizabeth on weekday mornings. Be super careful over there.