danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
Am I the only one disappointed with the new connectors?

I have technically 20 USB connectors laying around and now I have to buy new cables or a stupid adaptor that cost $30 each? Now people have to carry 2 cables, one for iPad and one for iPhone.

Also, why the hell did apple change the sim card again?! They already changed it to a micro sim card making a pain in the ass to use another phone. Now it is a even tinier sim card. WTF.

What a huge disappointment. I am planning to just buy the 5 to resell and get the SG3
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
this x10000

all because their patent is up and they cant collect royalties from 3rd party manufactures, so by coming out w/ a new connector, they can keep the checks rolling

i too have tons of 30 pin cables, to the point i dont ever have to carry one. In my bedroom alone, there are four 30 pin cables. This really sucks, specially for the car, I gotta buy a $30 fucking adaptor so I can use my phone w/ the BMW y-cable

the two things that pissed me off the most about it is, no usb 3.0, so eventually they will have to replace the current cable and we'll have to buy new ones. and the adaptor is way over priced, even for apple. Hopefully the good people of monoprice or similar places, come out w/ a good cheap adaptor
there's a reason for the connector and sim card... size.

The 30 pin connector is OLD, and with its redundancies they needed to go smaller and thinner for the new form factor (including the new iPod Touch/Nano). With the limited amount of space in the iPhone 5 they probably had no choice but to ditch the legacy connector.

The same goes for the nano sim. Apple is going out of their way to make each and every single component smaller, thinner, yet faster and more efficient in its function to accommodate one thing... battery. Everyone knows that LTE is power hungry, so Apple did everything they could to make the battery bigger. Hell, this was probably another reason why the made the screen 4" in the first place; to make a larger phone and insert in a larger battery.

As for USB 3.0? Yeah, I agree that's sort of annoying. That actually would've been useful (much faster data transfers, much better power availability for charging). AND it's backwards compatible. Maybe the didn't have the proper components to include that in the phone connector? Who knows. Maybe they're saving it for the iPhone 5S for next year's release. (I wouldn't be surprised)

IMO, the whole cable thing is a little bit of an annoyance, but at the same time, I can see why Apple made this decision. The fact that 'Lightning' is more durable (we'll see) and that it is a reversible plug in (definitely a welcome feature) is surely a plus, and with improving technologies, we'll be using physical connections less and less. With wi-fi and bluetooth 4.0, a lot of the past functions of the 30-pin connector are useless. In the mean time, yes, the adapter is a kick in the balls (I'm definitely waiting on monoprice) but I'm not gonna cry over it. I'm sure I can wait a month or two before third-party accessories adapt to the new change.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE