10-20-2020, 12:41 PM   #689
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Yep, that's why we can treat the carbuzz story as fan fiction.

The general rule for adding a body style is that if it doesn't happen by the LCI, it won't happen at all. The G81 is testing now for release at G20/G21/G80 LCI time. Could a G86 technically start testing as late as next year for release at G22/G23/G26/G82/G83 LCI time? Yes, but there's not a single hint yet that it will. The G81 snuck up on us though, so a G86 could theoretically do the same. Don't bet on it, but maybe say a few words to car gods if you wish for this M4 Gran Coupe to be more than some auto journo's click-bait.
What's interesting is I believe there was an i4 M spy shot of the car out and about that had those fender wideners denoting a slightly wide track and M mirrors. We have heard that the i4M was to be M performance level not full M but I wonder if it might possibly be getting something closer to the full M treatment and fill the lineup slot for an M4 gran coupe. Bmw usually doesn't do that extensive of modifications for the m performance level. With 523hp it's going to be brutally fast, so I can definitely see that car occupying yet another middle ground between the m performance and full M. Maybe they even sneak in full M branding even if it remains a few ticks behind the M3/M4 in dynamics
mkoesel7505.50