Couch
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
I remember reading an article on some Corvette forums that the F40 was so much faster than the F50... that, among other things, led the F50 to be a lease-only type of car, and the car would not be sent to magazines to test drive it. If an owner helped publish performance figures, that person would renege future Ferrari benefits.
That info is a bit misleading, and wrong.

From what I understand, the F40 and F50 are two entirely different cars. They are both very raw, but the F40 doesn't give you a kick in the ass until boost kicks in. The clutch is heavy, pedal is heavy, steering is heavy, etc. Where as all of that is lighter and better on the F50. And it's a slightly more handful to drive than the F50. The F50 continually gives all the way up the the RPM's. Apparently once over 5000 revs it's an entirely different feeling than the F40.

With that said, the F50 is a bit faster than the F40. 3 seconds around Fiorano to be exact.

As with every supercar produced by Ferrari, you are chosen by them. The only way to be able to buy the F50 out right, was to lease it for 2 years and then negotiations to buy happened. And the magazines couldn't get them from Ferrari, but Car and Driver (I believe) tested Paul Frames.