Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat_House View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat_House View Post
R.I.P Bmw
Quote:
The truth is that your post would be more relevant if BMW wasn't actively developing EV's like this. Automakers that aren't moving forward and advancing will become extinct. It stinks for the purists but there's no going back now as we are moving away from fossil fuels vehicles for better or worse. I was firmly in the ICE forever camp at one time but after a few months in a Model 3 Performance I can say it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be as EV's really do make for better commuter cars.
The issue is most consumers either don't want EVs or cannot afford EVs, and even fewer consumers want performance related EVs. So while it seems great that companies are spending billions in R&D to get out ahead of it, the consumer demand isn't there, it's not organic it's an artificial push by government. So these companies will spend a ton on R&D and production just to sell hundreds of cars, and end up losing money.
While I agree with this at the current moment, the reality is that it will change in the future. Not every citizen could afford the Ford Model T when it first came out. Horses could travel much further, were more reliable, and were affordable. However, all new technology is always expensive and costs billions to create scale around new resources and processes. We will look back in 20 years and talk about how expensive electric cars were when they first came out. We will be driving space ships at that point.