View Single Post
      01-14-2017, 08:02 AM   #68
MacOSR
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 16 X5M, 18 M550, 21 M5C, 23 M8

Electric is the future. There certainly is debate as to when more cars will be electrified but it is happening.

Disclaimer: I'm a non-practicing EE so I am bias towards EV but...

Being a car enthusiast I miss the high-revving v10 of my E60 M5 and I miss the grunt and brute of the v8 of my CTS-V. By every accord the new vehicles of today are quicker and faster with turbos and the more modern technology we have today.

The real debate here is "what is the goal?"

When the E60 M5 came out it was an F1 inspired business sedan that could rev to nearly 9000rpm, go over 200mph and could go around a track and be impressive as a 4 door sedan. At least when it was released.

The E60 M5 may have been the last iconic M car IMHO that made a statement that was undeniable. A statement that the auto industry couldn't ignore.

Today everything feels "muted" down where performance is very close between all brands. That's why I didn't buy a new M5 and decided to wait until the next M5. Too heavy, too disconnected. Fast? Yes. Luxurious? Yes. Did it make a statement? No.

What is holding back EV is battery technology. The current battery technology, Tesla included, hasn't evolved enough yet. They're too heavy or too volatile. I content that once we figure out the weight and safety issues of batteries that is when EV will evolve dramatically and get wide acceptance.

Today's cars need to loose weight. Carbon technology is the future with auto manufacturing. It have revolutionized other industries and it will do the same for auto. BMW is on the right track with their carbon technology.

To me the perfect next M5, as much as I hate to admit it, is a turbo V8, high torque that drives the rear wheels only with electric drive motors on the front wheels only. The front drive motors would work similar to the KERS system in F1 where there is only a short time they would engage and then the batteries would have to re-charge. It would also have a carbon chassis...or at least as much carbon possible to reduce weight by at least 250lbs. BTW...It needs to have a carbon roof with a sunroof as well.

Unfortunately, but the reality is, we are in an era where if we want a "fun and engaging" car to drive it's probably a manual M2.
clbmw632.50