Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
So important to remember that the car only charges the battery when coasting and your foot is off the gas. Sitting idle won't help it.

Regardless of what the issue is here, get a tender and hook it up - the amount of electronics these cars have now really strains the system and keeping the battery topped off will help a great deal. I'm still on my original battery and it's 9 years old.
No offence mate but I don't believe this is quite true. Can't really see why the alternator wouldn't charge when throttle is applied (which is most of the time right..:-). Also its easy to measure healthy current output from the alternator with for instance Carly.
Look it up if you don't believe me. BMW implements a system called Efficient Dynamics on modern cars, and the idea is to only charge the battery under coasting. When the engine is under load, the battery isn't being charged to ensure full engine power is available.

Modern BMWs have a digital gauge on the dash that will light up blue with a battery icon when you take your foot off the gas. The M3 does not have this gauge obviously, but the system is still there.