09-10-2021, 10:32 AM   #40
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
This has to be one of the strangest unveilings in years. The car looks utterly bizarre. It's like Subaru owns shares in a company that makes black plastic cladding that they are propping up. Those hexagonal black fender flares give the illusion of the car being lifted. The worst part is that this car will sell very well because Americans seem to really love the brand regardless of the product.

It's a CVT.
I agree. I don't think this is targeting the same demographic as before. As a fan of the model since the 04 STI, this doesn't resonate with me at all. I owned an 09 WRX before my 20 STI, so I don't think I've changed or outgrown the WRX. I've usually looked beyond the looks for the meat and potatoes but there's no more beef in this model than the last one.

I was thinking this would realistically have had at least 290 HP/280 lb-ft to outpace the added weight. The adaptive dampers are cool, but if I understand correctly, only available with the CVT. And 2 colors? An ugly orange and a ho-hum gunmetal. IDK. This ain't it chief.

I'm going to laugh my ass off if the new STI has like, 311 HP just to say it's more than the current 310.

EDIT: Found more colors, white and a dark blue:

https://media.subaru.com/image-galle...eryId=432&mid=

Last edited by ntg44; 09-10-2021 at 10:45 AM..