View Single Post
      05-25-2005, 02:31 AM   #15
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
This is defintely interesting. I think my main focus will be on reliability. The car itself is already such a joy to drive and the power feels abundant, not a lot of gain is really necessary as long as the kit is not ridiculously priced. My last car had a custom turbo, and I stressed the point of reliability to the shop. I ran 7psi without really any major problems. Slight oil leaks here, a gasket replaced there, nothing catostrophic. Of course the car ran full stand-alone AEM ecu for management.

This might be an impossible desire to have, but if I can have just close to 280-300 hp at wheels without having to worry about things going wrong while driving to vegas, or up the mountains, then I would definitely go for it.

Two major incidents with my turbo, just to let you guys know...
One time I was running with an evo on 57 south, took it up to about 140 and lifted off, and immediately saw white smoke spewing. Pulled off the freeway and realized oil's empty, but I couldn't find the leak (late at night with no flashlight). Adding oil was useless as it leaked right out, so I ended up having it towed. The next day the shop found the rubber hose to the oil cooler was ripped off by something. With the help of AAA, the fix cost me $40, $0 towing. No big deal.

Another time, I went to big bear to snowboard. At the end of the day we were gonna head off the mountain, and when I started up my car I heard a loud pop and flushing sound and saw oil pouring out the bottom. Make a long story short, I was stuck on the mountain for 2 hours, running around buying tools, oil, flashlight, then jumper and got the leak fixed. It was the hose to the oil cooler again.

So both times of major problem were due to the darn oil cooler, which I dont even really need, and could've probably avoided with a steel braided hose. The cost to fix was insignificant, but its the trouble of fixing, the embarrasment of white smoke, and the time it takes.

Well, I would want a kit that would worry free, and I would pay extra just to have that insurance.
Appreciate 0