05-24-2005, 10:49 PM   #13
HPF Chris
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe
Horsepower freak, I have two questions:

1) Would you have to defeat VANOS on the engine?
2) Considering that the redline is 7000 RPM...how much lag will there be before Turbo kicks in (basically what size Turbine would you offer)?

Aside from that, I don't think you would sell many of these. Many luxury car owners are not DIY'ers, they don't even change their own oil. Also, the rumored turbocharged 335i might cut into some of your sales...because you'll have to compete with a BMW-warrantied turboed car. But that's just a rumor. I really don't see a lot of 530i owners turboing their car.

On the flipside, if you made it cheap enough...I don't know how a BMW racer can resist a 330i that can keep up with an Evo or STI.

Me personally, if I bought a Bimmer...I wouldn't turbo it.
I don't see any need to defeat Vanos. The variable valve timing shouldn't be affected too much. Turbo Lag will be pretty minor. We're not talking about big turbos here, my best guess right now would be a 60mm wheel with a .68 a/r for the stage 3 or quite possibly smaller. Boost will start hitting at around 2,500rpm with full boost by 3,800rpm.

Here's my belief about the turbo kit market for new 330i's and 530i's.... I think there's a huge market, just not many suppliers of parts. I also think BMW owners are more into performance than Mercedes, Lexus and Jaguar owners. Another advantage is that these cars are selling like hotcakes and the 3 series has typically been a best seller for quite some time. The other benefit is that a well designed kit can sell for many many years to come.

Standard performance shops will easily be able to install these kits so the non-mechanic types will still be able to run them. We will also provide for vehicle transport where necessary to install them at our facility here.

We will be providing videos, dyno charts, complete instructions and full disclosure of the turbo kit/intercooler/exhaust/fuel/etc. We typically provide a pre-release discount for pre-orders and what usually happens is once a few people start running around with the kits, everybody starts to want them.

My goal is to make this happen for the BMW, and hopefully I can get enough feedback to penetrate this market without missing the boat.

Chris.
Appreciate 0