View Single Post
      05-24-2005, 09:57 AM   #9
HPF Chris
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011
Not to burst anyones bubble here, but I have an interesting story about a bolt-on turbo kit. My friend had a brand new Integra GS-R. He purchased one of those bolt-on turbo kits when the car had like 400 miles on it. Well, to make a long story short, he ended up blowing the motor because of a faulty wastegate (so he says). He then returned it to original and took the car to the dealership. The dealer inspected it and told him to take a hike. They new within a few seconds that he had a turbo kit installed. I am guessing they did a bore-scope on it, and saw that the pistons were anililated. I have always been of the opinion that you should never turbo an engine that wasn't engineered for turbos. Especially a new car that costs A LOT of money. Just my .02 cents.....
You are correct in thinking too much boost can cause lead to pre-ignition and possibly detonation. Also, too lean a mixture can cause even more damage than too much boost.

However....

Most NA engines can handle 7 to 10psi of boost. Nearly every supercharger and turbo kit that we sell that is manufacturers by us or by Banks, Paxton, Comptech, Blitz, Greddy, HKS, XS Engineering, ATI Procharger, Vortech, and many others are made for vehicles that were not designed for a turbo or supercharger.

#1, integra motors are not designed like the 3.0L BMW motor. They don't even have a solid block and the walls are easy to bust with a little pre-ignition and too much boost. Plus some integra and Civic owners will turn the boost up higher than the recommendation (which is 7 psi for the stock block on that vehicle).

I've also spoken with my local BMW dealership and they said they have no problem warranting a motor that has been modified. Not to say this will be the same for every BMW dealership, but many will not go through a thorough inspection to determine if the vehicle was indeed modified, and a clean installation will be impossible to diagnose anyway.

The key with any power adder is to ensure the safety and reliability of the engine. Your friend that blew up his motor should not have been hot rodding with only 400 miles on the vehicle. A motor needs proper break in time for everything to seat properly.

These stage 1-3 kits will not be providing boost levels that are high enough to cause an adequate risk. If improper care is done on ANY vehicle (even a prior turbocharged vehicle) detonation can result and can damage the motor. This is very important in considering what products you buy and especially... who does the work.

Take care,
Chris.
Appreciate 0