11-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #65
InternetFame
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: '17 F80 ZCP 6MT, '11 R55 S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tanglewood View Post
I have been really active in crossfit for a couple months. I'm almost 5'-10" but have been stuck around 185lb due to my sugar and late-night eating addictions. I also drink pretty regularly, having at least one drink every other night. I have seen some awesome gains in crossfit, but I think they are all hiding under the extra 15-20lb of fat I have been sustaining, so I really want to start seeing the results of my labor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I'm the same height and weight as you and also find the sugar at night is a detriment. I would say I have an extra 5lb of fat that would be good to be off and I find if I cut the sweets for a week or two this happens. I think alcohol has less to do with it even though it turns to sugar, I still put them away pretty well. Beer is worse on the alcohol thing.
The thing with alcohol is that it is extremely easy to underestimate the actual detrimental effects of it on muscle protein synthesis and fat loss, since literally 90% of the body's functions shut down the moment it is detected in the bloodstream; the flushing of it becomes the only priority, no matter how small the amount taken in. Maintaining a caloric deficit is also critical, but it will depend on how active you are on a regular basis. A total daily expenditure calculator will probably help you a lot, since a meal plan from a trainer will most likely be catered toward each client, specifically.

Most of the weight I had packed on before I'd lost the 40-45lbs came from having a girlfriend who cooked everything under the sun/relationship comfort weight. It creeps on quickly. I limit my drinking to a maximum of one night a week (usually 8-10oz of straight bourbon/rum with some junk food to consolidate my cheat day).

The midnight snacking is absolutely a killer. I used to have it bad, too. I'd recommend a casein protein shake right before bed to promote satiety and continue your growth process, should also help with the sweet tooth.