11-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #24
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Drives: F32 4er Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonySMith View Post
Paul Rosche - Last Interview. German Language.

As promised, here is the english translation:

[About his nickname]
"I worked several years on different engine projects for regular cars & race cars and calculated the camshafts for those.
Some day [another guy, didn't get the name] gave me the nickname Nocken Paule (Camshaft Paul).

__
At first we had a Formula2 engine, we won around 6 times the championship with it.
This engine got a Turbo Charger, with this 1.4L engine we drove in the german championship and in the IMSA series.
Due to this we found out that we could extract more power from a 1.4L with a turbo than the Cosworth engine of the time had.

So directly there was a thought that we could drive F1 with this "thing".
That was the beginning of the F1 story.
__
Our goal was of course always to have most power possible ().
And we did it, 1983 we had much more power than Ferrari and Renault, thats why we won the championship, as we could increase the power during the season.

__
We won LeMans two times and I know why: This engine was developed as a regular road car engine. And we already had a bit more than 620hp with this engine.
The rules enforced an air restrictor, so it was not possible to get more than 620hp anyway.
During the development of this engine we had already done long runs of 500 hours and more, it was really developed as a stock road car engine.
That's why it was so easy to win.

__
I never wanted to leave BMW. I am a bavarian, munich guy, I have a cabin in the mountains. I always had interesting projects, I don't think I would have gotten similar projects in other companies."

Saw this when I picked up my F32:

Last edited by Ganxxta; 11-18-2016 at 11:08 AM..
Law6381.00
Dackelone10531.50