08-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #30
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
There are some excellent primes under $200, which is not the case with zooms. However, if you shoot in Raw and use Digital Lens Optimization in Raw conversion, you can close the gap substantially. The L-series zooms are very good at all focal lengths, particularly with DLO, but the some primes are simply incredible.

The 500/f4L has legendary image quality and the new 11-24mm f/4L looks astounding in the test images I've seen, but those are very expensive lenses. You can buy an EF 40/f2.8 STM for around $150 and get IQ that competes with the L-series. The non-Ls are not as robust, but you're not buying lenses with a bar fight in mind.

A 24/40/50mm prime is a way to get started, with good quality and low cost. With my first SLR, in the 1960s, generally, most of us started with a 50/f1.8. Zooms were not so great, in general, back then, so we mostly shot only with primes.

The IQ of zooms is now competing with the best primes, so we're free to have one lens cover many focal lengths. Shooting with a couple of high quality zooms that cover a wide range, like 24-105mm plus a 70-200mm, along with 1.4x and 2.0x covers an broad range of situations. That's what I carry, plus my ultra-wide 15mm and, when I expect the subjects that demand it, my 500mm. All L-series, except for the 15mm. I NEVER carry my 40mm and should probably sell it.

Dave
Always primarily shoot raw / and optimize for lens specific in post edits. The L-series though twice the price of my T2I are quite impressive. Am going to get my hands on one this weekend and get a feel for what I like best. You mentioned DLO? Sry can you expand on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Try a 50mm 1.8f, if you find you don't use it much then you'll know not to get more primes.

On a crop sensor I wasn't a huge fan of the 50mm, it became more useful for my needs when I went FullFrame. Then I picked up a 1.4f and love it.

Even the 24-70mm you are planning to get, isn't very useful on a crop sensor. I'd recommend you get a EFS 17-85 or 15-85mm, but the 17-55mm 2.8 is a much better lense and close to L quality glass, probably the best you can get as an EFS lense. If you ever plan to upgrade to a full frame body, then Yes don't buy the EFS lenses get the 24-70 or 24-105.
Not planning to purchase any lenses yet - want to make that clear. Too large of an investment w/o having the experience using a variety of types. So far, i've only used the kit lens and the EF 16-35 F/2.8L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
On a crop-sensor, 35 to 40mm is closer to what the eye sees than a 50mm. 50mm is for full-frame or film.
Yes - have heard great things of a 35mm prime. Would like to get my hands on one to trial as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Yeah, we've got a local place here that has lens rentals, too... Surprisingly, the lenses aren't that expensive to rent, but you have to guard the 'em with your life, else your credit card takes a major hit.
Absolutely! Great to have this as an option. Am going to see what is available this weekend - and hopefully get out for some shots!