View Single Post
      07-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #22
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

If BMW really said this, I don't think they could be more wrong. It seems to me, for the vast majority of people commuting in a car or even just driving is a terrible/boring chore. I've seriously seen threads where people are bitching about having to get out of their car at gas stations to fill up. I don't understand how you could ever see this as an issue but that's neither here nor there.

I think the bottom line is the vast majority of people will go with what's the most convenient. If you can have a vehicle which you just plug in at night and go in the morning (and as long as the infrastructure is there), people are going to go for it. Folks like me who love driving just for the sake of it, love the sound of the motor, love rowing through the gears of a 6MT, are in the serious minority. Businesses have to go with what the majority of their customers want, this is obviously why we've seen such a massive reduction in available manual transmission cars over the past decade.

I certainly don't think EVs are anywhere close to being the majority of vehicles on the road, it might take decades for that to happen. However I think progress certainly dictates this will happen in the future.

ICE and 6MT will still be around for the rest of my life however, so in the end that's all which really matters to me.