View Single Post
      01-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #8
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: o_0

I didn't watch the 3rd video but I don't believe that smartphones are the death knell of consumer/prosumer cameras. There is certainly a segment of the market that doesn't need a standalone camera and is perfectly fine w/ their phone camera. That market segment has certainly shrunk for Canon, Nikon, etc... but that segment was oversold on cameras to begin with. If anything, camera phones replaced the entry level digital camera market. Plus, barring major breakthrough in physics for FPA technology and/or prescription optics (which camera companies will also benefit from), camera phones will peak out in IQ unless they grow in size. The pendulum is swinging away from the camera manufacturers but it will eventually settle out somewhere in between.

I would also disagree that the point that camera companies should act like a SW company, not a HW company. They should rather evaluate how they define their system and recognize the SW component/potential and grow that aspect. HW makes money and defines the platform whereas SW defines the experience.

If I may continue rambling, I wouldn't necessarily ditch the memory card but it should be readable w/o removing it from the camera (I believe it already is, though). USB charging but keeping the battery removable would be sweet. The battery for a 5D appears to be 7.2V (quick google search) which is an odd voltage (most integrated circuits/chips use 5V and/or 3.3V) but the capacity is only 1800mAh. My phone's Turbo charger puts out 5V, 9V, or 12V depending on the device it is connected to. I won't proclaim to know the internal voltages and respective currents needed by a camera's internal circuitry, but it seems like there is some voltage commonality that can be applied. Knocking down from 9 to 7.2V should be too bad since these are not high average current devices and I don't think I've ever had a thermal concern with my camera.

At the end of the day, there are parallels to the camera phone world that standalone camera makers could incorporate. I don't see why a smart phone couldn't be used as a RF camera remote, wireless image preview device, download pictures from a camera, etc... Make the smart phone a tool instead of just being competition.