View Single Post
      03-08-2023, 10:25 AM   #31
phantom701
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2024 i4 eDrive40

Sounds like BMW is still having major difficulties in transitioning to be more sophisticated with software.

Based on some of the information I learned in the last few years comparing traditional car manufacturers to the newer breed, the OGs have a lot of reliance on tier 2, tier 3 suppliers to get their work done. Many of the work might actually include tier 3 suppliers which then the software development is outsourced to a very low cost system integrators who have zero clue about the car and write very crappy software.

When you have multiple tier 3 components that needed to integrate back to to tier 2, tier 1 equipment and to ensure the entire software actually works, that's what you get with all the complexity that you see with BMW.

In order to adopt a more Tesla-like approach, BMW will need to overhaul how cars are designed. It will not be easy and I am predicting that will take at least another 5 years until they come out with the next generation vehicles.

The EVs should be easier but you never know what happens behind the scene. Too much historical baggage with how cars are built traditionally and manufacturers are failing to adapt.