02-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #16
kraeburn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2015 F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
Disclaimer: I am a snowboarder.

I have lived in ski resort town for the past 8 years and have learned a great deal about equipment in that time. IMHO the most important factor is your comfort, from your base layers all the way to your helmet and goggles. If you've been off of the slopes for a while, you'll be amazed at the advances in technology. But if you go for technology alone, then you'll probably sacrifice comfort. There's nothing worse than a pair of expensive boots giving you foot pain and making your day miserable. My wife is an accomplished skier and is currently going about preparing to acquire new boots. We have an advantage here, some of our friends are instructors and some are ski patrol. These folks are in their boots for at least 8 hours a day, and they prize comfort over everything else, so they provide great advice to us. Based on the latter, it's best to have boots custom fitted for your needs. I find that the boot fitters at the resorts are more geared to deal with tourists and tend to rush things, so ask around and engage with a reputable fitter. A good boot fitter can take several hours to fit you, well worth the investment of your time to get it right the first time. Now proceed to a store at the resorts, one that will allow you to test ski's and go from there. Oh, and did I mention socks, do not cheap out on your socks! Smartwool is a great brand and their socks will keep your feet comfy and warm. I hope that his helps you to make some progress in your quest, welcome back! Here is the store we now use for fittings: http://www.inklinefootscience.com/?page_id=11
Despite being a snowboarder you are spot-on about boots. They are the most important part of the system. I spend more money on boots than skis. Boot fitting is EVERYTHING.

As for socks, its a bit different than snowboarding probably. Smartwool is good but I would add that you want the thinnest socks you can get. Counter to logic, your feet will be warmer and more comfortable. I don't think it would be as critical in a snowboarding boot.
VRG_135836.50