View Single Post
      02-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #14
catcher22
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

I snowboard as well. I skiied twice before I was even a teenager but didn't hit the slopes again until I started snowboarding well into my 20's. I got lucky - a bunch of my college friends were learning at the same time and some of them were really good who always tagged along and taught us correct techniques. It was however very difficult to learn to snowboard in my 20's. I tell people that if I was just a few years older, I probably would have given up. It was a painful 2-3 SEASONS learning to snowboard. Around the 3rd to 4th season, I wasn't falling at all. At the time I was infatuated with snowboarding. I remember going to the slopes 2-3 times a week just to learn the new sport. I honestly love snowboarding.

Fast forward 10 years to today and I'm just getting old lol. I'm actually getting a little bored with snowboarding and am trying new techniques, jumps, switch riding, etc. I've wanted to learn to ski for the past 2-3 seasons, but never pulled the trigger simply because I own 2 snowboards and all the gear.

Some advice I would give is to try to travel to different mountains around the world and ski on them. I didn't realize at the time, but east coast skiing is shit. It's literally learning to ski on ice. The mountains and snow in Whistler is different than California. The mountains and snow in Colorado is different than Pennsylvania. Snowboarding in bowls and on glaciers is quite different. If you stick to your one geograpic area, you'll never learn to traverse different types of terrain.

Also, for buying skis, look for demo specials on sale. They're often one or two seasons out, barely used, and can be bought for a great price (usually a couple hundred).

Last edited by catcher22; 02-18-2016 at 12:39 PM..