01-21-2022, 01:28 PM   #1
Vicente Esteve
Registered
Mexico
Rep

Drives: E39 540i-6 Individual

My 540i-6 Individual Warehouse Find!

Hello everyone!

Glad to finally be making my first post and sharing a car I've lusted for quite some time to this particular group of enthusiasts! This is my new to me 1998 540i 6 Speed.

Name:  phpq6ZCUGAM.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  80.3 KB

Back Story

I purchased this car from its second owner, who had it since 2003 up to a couple months ago. It spent the best part of 10 years in a warehouse since the previous owner wasn’t able to use it due to constant work trips. I found it after making a post on an E39 Enthusiasts in Mexico FB group, inquiring for anything with a manual. I was beyond surprised when I received a polite DM describing this gem of a 5 Series. I was sent pictures, a PDF of everything aftermarket/OEM that had been installed throughout the years and after a few phone calls we arrived at a price and date to pick the car up (It was in another city). A week before the pickup, the car was gone through with the basics to make it road trip worthy; Fresh oil, coolant, filters, spark plugs, tires and an alignment. Safe to say the PO was a true enthusiast and an absolute gentleman who wanted this 84,000 km 540i to go to a good home.

Name:  php7oXSn2AM.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  80.0 KB

The Car Itself

BMW arrived in Mexico in 1995, so any vehicle from their late 90s lineup today is a rare treat. This 540i even more-so due to it being essentially fully equipped with the manual. It has every sport option ticked as well as the electronic gizmos from the time (TV, Phone) which I adore.

Aftermarket Equipment:
- Hamann Body Kit
- Hartge 19 inch wheels
- Turner Motorsports Short Shifter Kit
- Hamann Exhaust
- Bilstein B5 Shocks
- Eibach Sport Springs

Name:  phpvh1ZSOAM.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  98.9 KB

Future

As is with every E39, it needs things done! Thankfully, all mechanical aspects are excellent, the car drives superbly and didn’t skip a beat in the 14+ hour drive home. But even if it was stored with all possible care (it was), you can’t get away from the fact it’s a 24 year old car. Here’s a list of fixes I will be tackling on to take it to the level it deserves:

- Dead Pixels (Of course!)
- Erratic gas level reading
- Rear tow hook cover missing
- “Check Coolant” message while level is okay
- Toolbox falls when trunk closes
- Center console cubby has no sliding door
- Wear and tear in door handles
- Reversed polarity on the rear passenger window regulator
- Front and rear glass rubber surrounds are perished
- Airbag Light
- Sunroof won’t open or tilt
- Needs new windshield wipers
- Sticky Trunk handle rubber
- Phone doesn’t turn on
- TV doesn’t get any signal
- Rear quarter window curtains don’t retract

I hope to share the process with the forum and help keep this little piece of BMW history on the road for years to come!

Name:  phplSrd4NAM.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  118.7 KB