2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep

Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
What "sounds mandatory"? Us having a right to know if our very highest leadership might be beholden to foreign powers and influences?
It sounds like this "right to know" would necessarily mandate disclosures. You didn't explicitly say these disclosures were mandatory, but when you start throwing around "rights" it sounds mandatory. I intentionally didn't say your post demanded these disclosures be mandatory.

Quote:
Do I think it's a good idea for politicians to release their tax returns? Yes, I do.
It might or might not be a "good idea," but I'm definitely against changing the current law to allow the government (state or federal) to mandate anyone publicly release their tax returns. This doesn't change when you run for elected office, or a position in intelligence, law enforcement, judicial, etc..

Quote:
Common goals should be plainly obvious based on the politician's stances/positions, no?
I guess I'm asking everyone to think about how this would be policed. How would foreign "leverage" be identified when it isn't monetary? What if the leverage was obtained via threating to disclose something embarrassing? A tax return would do nothing to disclose this leverage.

Adding one new thought... What about the "leverage" a candidate/official would be influencing ONTO foreign governments or organizations? We should demand transparency there too, right? So if a candidate/official were "colluding" with say, the EU to push anti-global warming initiatives... Or perhaps "colluding" with the PLO to help the Palestinians' BDS movement? What about disclosures between politicians "colluding" with members of the press?

Last edited by glennQNYC; 04-08-2019 at 01:15 PM..
SakhirM49421.00