View Single Post
      02-03-2023, 08:48 AM   #7406
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

[QUOTE=Sedan_Clan;29802663]Joe Rogan's podcasts are great......but I digress...

...to be frank, I don't usually see the repercussions of a highly tense situation impact police officers until after the incident concludes. We are like lemmings in a way. An issue arises and we flock to it, often without much thought. I would imagine it's much the same way with the military, albeit, with more immediacy. What I mean by that is, as law enforcement, a distress call for service gets dispatched and we roll immediately. We really don't have time to think about much except..........assess the call, determine what resources are needed, coordinate those resources, contain the location and address the problem as we arrive on scene (...and adjust as the situation evolves, usually rapidly). All of that happens within minutes of the call hitting the air. Once the situation is concluded and we finally have time to think, that's when the impact happens. I have yet to see an officer truly fail to react and just give up. If nothing else, I've been quite surprised at the resilience of the officers and deputies I've had the pleasure of working with (..or who I know via acquaintance). A case example, the deputies on my department who were shot in the face at the train terminal. In the moment, the female deputy reacted without thought despite facial trauma from bullet impacts and she saved her partner's life by applying a tourniquet, etc. The impact and life changes after the fact were huge though. He has left the department and I think she's leaving as well, if she hasn't already left. Being shot in the face is a big deal.

Agreed, in my experience you rarely have time to think about what you're walking into. And it was rare in my experience to see officers panic and shut down during the event. There were a few cases where officers refused to get out of the car and one incident when an officer locked herself in the car while her partner was beaten, it was learned during the investigation that she never loaded her firearm when on duty. She was dealt with.

I will add that I am not making a statement that female officers were a problem, I worked with many and had faith in all of them to do the job, there were/are a small number of officers male and female who were notoriously slow responding to calls. It's not a gender thing.
///d1817.00
Sedan_Clan24980.50
Buug95917177.00