02-02-2023, 09:17 PM   #7402
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
I'm currently listening to the Joe Rogan Podcast episode with Mike Glover. For those who don't know who Mike Glover is, he is a 20 year veteran who served as a Special Forces Sniper with multiple combat tours. Mike talks about preparing oneself for emergency situations, disasters, dangerous situations, etc.

The topic about how people respond to high stress, traumatic, life or death situation was discussed and mass shootings was used as an example. People like to ask the question "why doesn't anyone try to stop the shooter?". He explains that in those situations most people are not train or conditioned to keep a clear mindset, instead the brain puts us into survival mode, and the majority of people lose control to natural instinct and hide, some black out, and some will just literally collapse and "play dead". He goes on to tell stories of highly trained guys who literally shut down in combat and can't even recollect what happened.

How often do you see this as police officers, with both other officers and with civilians? I've seen it with the military more than I'd like to admit.

Joe Rogan's podcasts are great......but I digress...

...to be frank, I don't usually see the repercussions of a highly tense situation impact police officers until after the incident concludes. We are like lemmings in a way. An issue arises and we flock to it, often without much thought. I would imagine it's much the same way with the military, albeit, with more immediacy. What I mean by that is, as law enforcement, a distress call for service gets dispatched and we roll immediately. We really don't have time to think about much except..........assess the call, determine what resources are needed, coordinate those resources, contain the location and address the problem as we arrive on scene (...and adjust as the situation evolves, usually rapidly). All of that happens within minutes of the call hitting the air. Once the situation is concluded and we finally have time to think, that's when the impact happens. I have yet to see an officer truly fail to react and just give up. If nothing else, I've been quite surprised at the resilience of the officers and deputies I've had the pleasure of working with (..or who I know via acquaintance). A case example, the deputies on my department who were shot in the face at the train terminal. In the moment, the female deputy reacted without thought despite facial trauma from bullet impacts and she saved her partner's life by applying a tourniquet, etc. The impact and life changes after the fact were huge though. He has left the department and I think she's leaving as well, if she hasn't already left. Being shot in the face is a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo Cat View Post
How does transferring work in CHP? I am working towards getting to the academy but i also like to think ahead. I love the idea of being somewhere in the Eastern mountains of the state.
Transferring within the department is fairly easy, especially if you're looking to transfer to a spot that isn't popular among the officers. Once graduation is upon you, the department will have you compose a wish list of stations you want to train at. Recruits from SoCal usually try to get back to Southern California, recruits from NorCal try to get back to Northern California, etc. If you're looking to go to a mountain post, you shouldn't have a difficult time getting there at all. With that said, it's ultimately a decision based on department needs. If you're a NorCal resident who wants to stay up north, but SoCal needs most of the officers, you're going to SoCal (...probably Santa Fe Springs, East L.A., South L.A., etc.). You put get off training and put in your time (...usually a year-ish at your unit of assignment), and then put in your transfer. Fortunately for you, nobody really wants to work the mountains, so that should be a fairly easy move for you.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 02-02-2023 at 09:23 PM..
///d1817.00