11-20-2022, 01:54 PM   #7173
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
What do movies and TV get wrong and right about police work?
The first thing 99% of movies and shows get wrong are "gun sounds" when there is no physical manipulation of the firearm itself; that, and officers who decide to rack the slide/pump the action/charge the handle once they are waist deep in a gunfight. It just doesn't happen like that. Our duty weapons are always live and our shotguns/rifles go live the moment they are removed from the storage cradle in our patrol vehicles.

There's so much that Hollywood does wrong, but of all of the shows/movies I've watched throughout the years, "Southland" and "Chicago P.D." are two of the most accurate depictions of field and investigative police work I've seen on television. That's not to say there isn't some embellishment, but the feel, the grit, the internal and professional conflict (…e.g…color outside of the lines here to achieve the greater good there, "appropriate" street justice, etc.) is truly well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Have you ever used your status to get any freebies or perks, like at a 7-Eleven?
Well yes and no. I suppose it depends on how you are defining "using my status". The answer is "no" if you mean expecting special treatment or freebies simply because I wear a uniform. That would be unethical and simply a poor example of character. Have things been comped for me over the years? Absolutely! ….but I don't expect them to be.

The answer is "yes" when it comes to places that offer an LEO/military/first responder discount. It's there and it's offered for a reason, so why wouldn't I take advantage of the support given to, and/or gracious acknowledgment of my profession?!? I tend to patronize the businesses that support law enforcement/military/first responders more than any businesses that do not.

It's interesting because your inquiry is actually discussed often. There are people in the aforementioned fields that do not ….will not…..take advantage of the legitimate discounts offered citing that it makes them feel weird or they feel wrong for doing it. When asked my opinion, I usually counter with "Did you feel that way when you used your military service to save money when you bought your home?"…."…or to obtain free education for your children?!?"…..etc. The answer is usually "no!" What's the difference?!? Service is service, and with that service comes some benefit(s).
Soul_Glo13346.00
vreihen1615217.00