Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
I know it'll be a sharpening difference between the prime macro lens and this option; but I have a hard time justifying such an expense (105mm macro) for the use I would make of it.

Since they have no optics, I wonder what the Kenko set does that the noname $10 set does not?

Is it all about AF? I couldnt care more about having to manual focus while in Macro; I always do anyway!

What do you think about those? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macro-Extens...item3357ec7ad2

I know I took the worse possible example, but I took those just to get your point fully.
The sharpness using ETs is dependent on the sharpness of the lens you're using. Both my 70-200mm and 500mm are extremely sharp lenses. The ET is a hollow tube with electronics so that the lens can comunicate with the body.

DOF is very shallow, so focus is critical for macro. Shooting moving things, like bees, I keep the AF on. If your camera has various AF tracking modes, make sure is in Servo Tracking mode (the Canon name) so that it's correcting and anticipating change in the AF. The ability to keep up varies quite a bit from body to body. For things that don't move, go to MF and single-shot mode.

I'm a big believer in zooms. Some are big into primes, but I consider that a bow to the old film days. Why I'd want a 105mm prime in my bag when I've got a great 70-200mm zoom is hard for me to imagine. I carry all of my lenses almost all of the time (including a 500mm) so an extra piece that I'll hardly use seems crazy. If you work in a study and have them lined up on a shelf, then that's a different matter. Trudging around with an ET and a TC in a couple of vest pockets is more my style.

I don't understand why you'd MF all the time. Do you mainly shoot scenics? Have you changed the view screen in your prism so that MF is easier? I briefly thought of a MF Zeiss lens for scenics, but then it conflicted with my "if you own it, carry it" rule.

Dave