Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
I wanted to say something about this topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
if a photograph relies on sharpness to be a difference, then it wasn't going anywhere anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneintheory View Post
you're right, and i suppose a photographer should rely on a single 'different' technique rather than actual substantive skill to make his shots stand out from the rest, too.

my take/point on all of this is:

Unless you have a PURPOSE for the effect, everything in the photo should be in focus. If you have just a person, you might only need f2.8 to get them in focus. However if you're shooting several things near/far in distance to the camera, you need to expand that DOF to get it all in focus. It's a lot harder and takes WAY more photographic knowledge/skill to produce a quality photo of everything in focus in the scene than it is to just use a shallow DOF and call it "artistic" just because.

Nothing wrong with Bokeh/Shallow DOF shots if there is a purpose to it, and many times there is. But shooting wide open cuz it makes your exposure in a controlled light setting such as a studio is just a cop out for not knowing your craft well enough IMO.