View Single Post
      06-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #16
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Joe, good point, and worth the reminder. Even when stopped it's a good idea to keep an eye on the rear-view for distracted drivers that may not stop (or for cops needing to get by).

Bkm. Obviously I agree, and that's the point here.

MysticBlue--Perhaps "Angry" was too strong a term. Annoyed/irritated is more like it. And yes, we all have a choice to be annoyed/irritated or let things go.

As for the other reasons noted, I don't disagree with you. Look at my OP where I say pretty much some of the same things. I'm not sure where the idea of "obsession" comes in here. To be honest, I'd totally forgotten about until I bounced over here to the forum.

As for assuming the worst...well...at the time, the "worst" I was thinking about was the risk to pedestrians who frequent that particular section/intersection without bothering to wait for the cross-walk. And how flying through there at that rate of speed w/o lights/siren wasn't a smart move. (I've had to lock up my brakes at that spot twice due to some idiot ped not looking and jumping into the road w/o waiting for the ped crossing signal.)

Sure, I've done stupid things driving. All of us have. The annoyance here is that I hold those in positions to a higher standard than the rest of us (e.g. bozos like me) on the road. Nothing more than that.

But am I going to lose any sleep over it or give it a second of my waking thoughts today when I'm off the forum? No. Can I control this situation (or others like it I might encounter)? Nope. But that doesn't mean I'm going to just sigh and say "whatever". (And no, I'm not saying that's what you're advocating...I'm picking up on what would be an extreme version of the "can't control it, ignore it" line of thinking.)

IMO the minute we stop caring what officers (or elected officials) do with their positions/authority we have a bigger problem on our hands than some cop who was making some unwise decisions by driving 25+ the posted limit through city streets without lights/sirens on. Of course, with elected officials, we have a much better chance of impact (November, here I come).

Last edited by Finnegan; 06-21-2010 at 12:20 PM..