View Single Post
      06-20-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Angry with Cop Antics

On my way home from the gym this afternoon and I'm driving 45 in a 45 MPH zone. I see the car coming at a very high rate of speed in the left hand lane--closing fast. Bam! Zoom! Right by me goes a CHP at 70+ MPH! I figure he's got some kind of emergency, but lights are off. When I finally catch up with him at the stoplight (about 6 blocks later) he's sitting there in the left hand turn lane at a light that's on very long cycle (4 minute wait usually, sometimes more) and has to wait a long time for a green light.

What has me pissed is this same cop (I recognize him) has been giving out tickets like candy on this stretch of road for folks going 5 MPH over the limit for weeks. But here he is driving 25+ over--and for no apparent reason--right through an area heavy with cross and pedestrian traffic. Talk about unsafe for conditions!

Similar thing happened last weekend--CHP driving at excessive speeds on city streets to give my buddy (who was several blocks ahead of me--cop once again just flew by me) a ticket for the high-crime of not having a front plate. (At least in this case there was a violation, so I'm not really that bent about it.)

I drive sensibly, and I expect law enforcement to do the same and not abuse authority. Now, maybe I'm in the wrong here and today's episode has an explanation and I'm being a jerk for being upset. Maybe there was a call he was responding too? But in that case wouldn't there be at least lights--and wouldn't he have used them to navigate the intersection rather than hanging at the light for several minutes?

What do you guys think? Am I overreacting, or do I have reason to be a bit pissed off about this?