View Single Post
      09-30-2017, 11:34 PM   #10
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardparker View Post
One of the best write ups I've seen. Thanks so much for your contribution. Out of curiousity, what to you do professionally?

Good to hear that they prescribe goop on the output shaft. The flange definitely looks like a cast piece.

The clutch basket looks like it might hold another clutch pair. Hard to tell. The piston looks like it might have room for another friction and steel, but I'd have to examine one more closely in person. Looks like 5 pairs of frictions and steels and they don't seem to have any problem with wear. Still, an extra clutch pair might gain someone a little more rear drive bias.
I work in field service for medical equipment. So I'm not quite an expert on transfer cases by any means (actually this was the first one I've ever pulled apart), but I have always worked on my own cars, so I have a little experience turning a wrench.

I think getting another pair of friction discs in there would be tight unless you could grind down the bottom of that clutch basket assembly or something. It took quite a bit of clamping force to get that snap ring on it as it is. These cars have so many computers and sensors though that I would think the computer system would start correcting on you if it sensed that there was more rear drive bias.
Appreciate 1